Position Title: Seasonal Garden Manager
The Winyan Toka Win Garden, a naturally grown, 2.5-acre garden, is a cornerstone of our youth programming and food sovereignty initiatives. Not only do we use Winyan Toka Win’s fresh, nutritious produce in meals and snacks at both youth centers, we incorporate it into menu and gift items at our Keya (Turtle) Cafe and Keya Gift Shop, and we sell it to the community through our seasonal, weekly Leading Lady Farmers Market. The garden is a priceless living classroom for our 4- to 12-year-old Garden Club participants, and for the teens who are completing Sustainable Agriculture Internships. The garden also helps strengthen the connection the children have with their traditional Lakota values and life ways. While helping to build a food system on the Cheyenne River Sioux Reservation, CRYP youth learn about sustainability, health and traditional agriculture and more.
Responsibilities and Duties:
• Manage the garden through the design, preparation, planting, maintenance and harvest stages guided by the goal of the program and any partnering organizations using sustainable management practices.
• Maintain the exterior and interior of the garden area including but not limited to weed-control, regular maintenance of laws, pruning of trees, repairing/replacing fence, etc.
• Must have operational experience of basic gardening equipment, i.e. tiller, weed eater, lawn mower, small tractor, bobcat, and other equipment which includes tracking malfunctions and reporting appropriately to the direct supervisor. Some CRYP equipment includes Kubota Tractor, BobCat, John Deere Mower, MTD Rough Cut Mower, Honda Tiller, Rotary Tiller Tractor.
• Manage garden shed equipment and tools on a schedule that accommodates pre-planting and post-harvest including installing and pulling up drip harvest system.
• Manage green house, high tunnel and mini high tunnels.
• Maintain garden walking paths through tilling, mulching, weeding.
• Maintain composting bins which includes turning, aerating, etc.
• Plant Starter plants and order starter plants in a timely manner.
• Process vegetables, working with staff and youth when necessary, based programmatic plan.
• Assist in the management of the Farmer’s Market Stand by providing produce, marketing, setup and manning the stand.
• Supervise volunteers and youth by providing detailed instructions when they are working in the garden and oversee progress as well as use of equipment to ensure proper management of the garden.
• Participate in community, partner, funder, or youth presentations about the garden program when necessary;
• As necessary work with partnering organizations and assist in the development of community collaborations to accomplish the goals of the program.
• Maintain required statistical data for grant reporting and other specified purposes such as daily harvest, volunteer time sheets, equipment maintenance, etc.
• Assist development goals by providing data and other information when requested.
• Support the staff in educating youth when necessary during Garden Club or internships
• Assist staff in presenting to partnering organizations
• Other duties as assigned.
• Must have knowledge of plants, soils and of garden management.
• Must have basic knowledge and experience in operating and maintaining garden equipment.
• Must have a basic proficiency in the use of computers and programs for documenting harvest, reporting and general communications.
• Must have a basic knowledge of modern business communications
• Must have adequate writing and verbal skills to accomplish required duties.
• Must have a valid SD Driver’s License
• Ability to use equipment and maintain the equipment
• Must be able to pass a criminal history background check.
• Minimum of High School Diploma/GED.
• Related college credit and experience may be considered but is not required.
• Prior experience in working with young people and program development is preferred.
• Must serve as a positive role model to area youth and promote the mission of the organization.
• Willingness to have a changing and flexible schedule;
• Self-starter; self-disciplined;
• Ability to work with efficiency, flexibility, and good humor
• Operates with excellence in mind in all matters;
• Able and willing to serve as a positive role-model to area youth;
• Prior experience serving in a youth organization preferred;
• Knowledge of and experience with American Indian Communities preferred;
• Good communication and interpersonal skills are essential.
• Remain focused in the face of pressures and meeting deadlines.
- Eagle Butte, SD 57625 (Required)
- One location
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
- Bi weekly or Twice monthly
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable — more reliable than spontaneous
- Adaptable/flexible — enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Autonomous/Independent — enjoys working with little direction
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- A good fit for applicants with gaps in their resume, or who have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or more
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.