For more than 30 years, the Cheyenne River Youth Project has been bringing joy to families on Christmas day through our annual Christmas Toy Drive. The Christmas Toy Drive is not just about the gifts that children receive under their tree – it is about the gift of hope and wishes fulfilled.
In keeping with our hard work of also incorporating more Lakota language, culture and life ways into all of our programs, we have named our long-running, deeply beloved program the Wo Otúh’an Wi Toy Drive. Wo Otúh’an Wi means “the moon of giving away presents” and it captures the spirit of the Christmas season and of Santa Claus in a way that also resonate with traditional Lakota values.
Many of our children suffer the effects of poverty everyday, continuously going without, knowing that luxuries like new toys or clothes are simply not available to them. Our children handle this reality with an incredible grace and humility that is truly touching. This is why watching their faces on Christmas morning, as we arrive with their gifts, is so special for us.
The program does take a lot of preparation and dedication on the part of our staff and volunteers, as well as our wonderful donors. CRYP accepts “Dear Santa” letters from October-late November and passes them on to friends and organizations all over the country. These generous individuals then choose gifts with personal attention to each child’s particular dreams and wishes. The gifts are sent to CRYP for sorting and wrapping by a tireless group of community volunteers who work day and night to have the work completed by Christmas Eve. Santa and his elves are then up bright and early on Christmas Day to hand deliver each family’s gifts.
Our kids always surprise us with their undulled excitement, gratitude and even cookies left out for Santa to sample as he passes through! Families gather together to watch their children’s smiling faces as they open their gifts and ohhh and awww over each item. The program serves over 1,500 children all over Eagle Butte and the surrounding communities.
All of us at CRYP would like to express our heartfelt thanks to all of our friends and family members who participate in the Wo Otúh’an Wi Toy Drive each year.
For more information, please contact Julie at (605) 964-8200 or email@example.com.
How to Help!
There are several ways to help CRYP bring Santa Claus to hundreds of Cheyenne River Lakota children during the 2021 Wo Otúh’an Wi Toy Drive:
1. Make a tax-deductible financial contribution or in-kind donation using the forms below.
2. Make a tax-deductible donation by sending cash, a check or a money order to: The Cheyenne River Youth Project, P.O. Box 410, Eagle Butte, SD 57625.
3. Adopt an individual “Dear Santa” letter, or receive a copy of our most-requested toys list: contact Julie Garreau, executive director, at (605) 964-8200 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. If you’d like to purchase and ship toys directly from our Amazon’s Wish List, please visit: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/BK86PWN3K4F7/
Please consider using AmazonSmile, and designating CRYP as your preferred charity!
5. Donate gift cards, gift bags, wrapping paper, tissue paper, tape or anything else that might assist in toy-drive preparations.
6. Spread the word! Please share CRYP’s 2021 Wo Otúh’an Wi Toy Drive posts on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and if you have friends or family members who might like to make a donation, please let them know how they can help.
Donate to the Toy Drive